I started out tonight with the intention of having a bit of fun after my last two posts on the serious issue of gun owner rights, restrictions, etc. So, a quote by Ann Coulter crossed my path, and I thought to have a bit of fun critiquing her, something I have meant to do for a while now. WHOA NELLIE!!!! This ‘person’ is a lunatic, a died-in-the-wool, shouldn’t-be-allowed-in-public, duck-under-the-table-here-she-comes lunatic! I read quote after quote, each a bit more radical, more disturbing than the one before it, and I knew I had found my “Snark-Mark” for the week! I don’t think I need to say a whole lot, but simply share some of her outrageous quotes. So here are some I found particularly amusing (read ulcerative), along with my snarky remarkies:
- “I think there should be a literacy test and a poll tax for people to vote.” Seriously … a POLL TAX??? Did we not put that issue to bed with the 24th amendment to the United States Constitution in 1964??? And a literacy test? But then you, yourself might not be able to vote, ma’am.
- “The “backbone of the Democratic Party” is a “typical fat, implacable welfare recipient.” Well, I better go gobble some Hershey’s bars so I can waddle out to the mailbox and get my cheque, huh?
- “My libertarian friends are probably getting a little upset now but I think that’s because they never appreciate the benefits of local fascism.” FASCISM? You mean, like Hitler, Mussolini, et al? But … weren’t they authoritarians who killed people for having beliefs that did not quite match their own? But what do I know, right?
- “If you don’t hate Clinton and the people who labored to keep him in office, you don’t love your country.” I like Bill Clinton. Among other things, he was one of the only two presidents (the other being Barack Obama) to actually reduce the deficit in the last 40 years! And yes, ma’am, I DO love my country.
- “We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity” Um … pardon me, Ms. Coulter, but did I do a Rip Van Winkle and sleep through the part where somebody died and made you boss? And the part where Christianity trumps (no pun intended) Islam, Judaism, Hindi and Buddhism?
- “Congress could pass a law tomorrow requiring that all aliens from Arabic countries leave… We should require passports to fly domestically. Passports can be forged, but they can also be checked with the home country in case of any suspicious-looking swarthy males.” Swarthy males? So … females cannot be terrorists? What about Tashfeen Malik? And ‘swarthy’? Really? My late husband could have been considered swarthy, though he wouldn’t even kill a spider or a snake. Ever hear the word “profiling”?
- “We need to execute people like John Walker [Lindh] in order to physically intimidate liberals, by making them realize that they can be killed, too. Otherwise, they will turn out to be outright traitors,” C … you definitely do not “physically intimidate” me. But keep on trying … give it your best shot. All you are making me do so far is wonder about the DNA of your parents and how they didn’t realize at an early age that you were mentally deformed. Call me a traitor again, and see where that gets you … bring it on, Tootsie!
- Political debate with liberals is basically impossible in America today because liberals are calling names while conservatives are trying to make arguments. Got it backward, sistah! Have you listened to Trumpty-Dumpty lately?
- “It would be a much better country if women did not vote. That is simply a fact. In fact, in every presidential election since 1950 – except Goldwater in ’64 – the Republican would have won, if only the men had voted.” So … you think what? That every republican is better qualified than every democrat and that every woman is muy estupido? Go look in the mirror, Ms. Coulter, and tell me what you see. Oh … point taken.
- I love to engage in repartee with people who are stupider than I am. There are any?
Whew! That woman is certifiable. Perhaps you can pinpoint the point where I was getting steamed and not having much fun anymore? But wait … do you think she really believes her spiel, or is it just that, an attention-getting spiel to sell her books? She is a caricature, a comedienne who, I strongly suspect, does not believe more than a small percentage of the garbage she spouts. “Do not make the mistake of taking Ann Coulter seriously. She does fancy herself something of a comedian, a political comedian, and when you press her on a lot of these things, you find out that what’s really underneath it is the intent to make a joke. Now, it’s a joke that generally works only with the extreme right wing of the Republican Party. But she doesn’t mean a great deal of what she says.” (Laurence O’Donnell, MSNBC, 2006) I laughed, I shook my head, and I growled, but the reality is that, no matter what her intent, personalities like her are a danger and a menace.
She is dangerous because she is a public figure. People listen to her. Don’t believe me? Consider this: her book Adios, America, which released in June 2015, has earned 4.5 out of 5 stars from 1,400 customer reviews on Amazon. Perhaps she is trying to be funny, but I am more inclined to think that she is trying to rile the masses much as Trumpty-Dumpty does with his hate-spewing rhetoric. There is enough moronic, hate-filled speech today without enabling personalities like Coulter to be seen by millions, without giving them a public voice. I do not find this woman to be funny. I find her to be disgusting, vicious and abhorrent, but definitely not funny and absolutely not an intellectual, not a person who understands what she is speaking about.