It occurs to me, in the course of my daily musings and mind ramblings, that there is clearly a double standard in play in the political arena today. Thinking about the criticism that President Barack Obama has dealt with on a daily basis for the past eight years, most of it biased and unfair, I wonder how it is that Trump is able to perform the antics of a fascist circus clown and garner far less criticism than the President. This double standard extends to their families, also. For example, Melania Trump’s near-nude picture is all over the internet and few say a word, however when Michelle Obama appeared at a function in a very modest, but sleeveless dress, one might have thought she shared state secrets rather than a bit of shoulder.
In 2014, President Obama and family went on vacation, during which time he received daily briefings, communicated with world leaders, and in general carried on the business of the nation. This is what presidents do … they are on duty 24/7/365. But he did manage to play a few games of golf which, of course, was shown on every television and in every media outlet and severely criticized by the masses. Trump goes to the UK on the day of the Brexit vote, but instead of connecting with David Cameron or any other politicos, he takes a tour of his golf course in Scotland and uses the media time as free advertising for said golf course. The masses remain silent. I wonder, since Trump owns 16 golf courses worldwide, if he became president, would he give up golf and every other form of leisure, as President Obama was obviously expected to do?
President Obama was (falsely) accused of not being born in the U.S., an accusation that surfaced repeatedly for several years, led by none other than the vociferous Donald Trump. Though he should not have needed to, the president eventually released his birth certificate to prove that he was, in fact, born in Hawaii which, for those who may not be aware, is one of the 50 states. Even then, there were those who loudly proclaimed that he had no right to hold the office of President, as he was foreign-born. Yet, Donald Trump has point-blank refused to release his tax returns, though almost every other candidate in recent history, has released theirs, and nobody says a word. This, despite the fact that the last tax return that was made public showed that Trump paid not a dime in income taxes that year.
I could go on and on, but instead, let me pose a few questions, some food for thought:
- If Barack Obama had been married three times, twice to foreign-born women, one of whom is a former nude model, and had bragged about numerous extramarital affairs, would he be president today?
- If Barack Obama had said “My fingers are long and beautiful, as, it has been well documented, are various other parts of my body,” would he be president today?
- If Barack Obama had mocked a reporter with disabilities on camera for the world to see, would he be president today?
- If Barack Obama had, during his campaigns, unsettled lawsuits accusing him of blatant fraud, of running scams that bilked people out of millions of dollars, would he be president today?
- If Barack Obama had said he could “stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters,” would he be president today?
- If Barack Obama had said “laziness is a trait in [whites]”, would he be president today?
- If Barack Obama had said “You know, it doesn’t really matter what [the media] write as long as you’ve got a young and beautiful piece of ass,” would he be president today?
- If Barack Obama had three bankruptcies and countless failed businesses in his past, would he be president today?
The answer to all of the above questions is “no”. Any one of the above actions or remarks would have drawn such harsh criticism in the media and by the masses that he would have lost the election no matter who he was running against. And yet … and yet Donald Trump has done & uttered all of the above and more, but the press has mostly disregarded them and the masses continue to follow him mindlessly, ignoring the shameless thug that he is. Why? Is it a matter of race? There are those who might argue this, and it is an easy bandwagon to jump on, but in this case, I do not think it is racial. The fact is that you could replace the name “Barack Obama” in all of the above statements with any former president, republican or democrat, and the answer would be the same. It is not a matter of race in this case, it is a matter of timing, of political environment. In the past, the actions of Donald Trump today would never have been accepted in any candidate running for the office of president, but suddenly today, it is okay to be a pompous ass. Well, let me clarify: It is okay to be a pompous ass if you are Donald Trump. Not for a moment do I think that Hillary Clinton could pull off the ‘irascible tyrant’ act without being run out of town on a rail.
So what is my point here? Simply this: there is a double standard that says one man may say or do anything without being held accountable, but if any other candidate, not only running for president, but any office … even local dogcatcher of Rabbit Hash, Kentucky (yes, there really is such a town) … were to attempt any single antic that Trump has, it would lead to the immediate ruination of his/her career. Perhaps Trump himself said it best when he said “I’m a bit of a P.T. Barnum …” P.T. Barnum, who is often quoted as saying “There’s a sucker born every minute.”