While I do not live for statistics on my blog, I do check them frequently. I like knowing which posts were popular and which were “meh”. One feature that I find to be very popular is my Idiot of the Week, but the really interesting thing I found in the past 3-4 weeks is that it is wildly popular when the Idiot of the Week is a female! I am pondering the reason for this. Are we indeed a society dominated by the male mentality? Are the women just that more idiotic than the men? Or am I over-thinking it and it is just based on timing? I don’t know, but I think it is interesting.
Nonetheless, I am back to a male idiot this week. This one has been on my radar for a while, but I put him on the back burner and rather forgot about him. I had several idiots lined up, but upon further research decided to leave a few alone for the moment, for one reason or another. There are certain criteria to qualify for the award, and I do have to maintain my high standards, after all. So today, let me present the much-coveted Idiot of the Week award to none other than Rush Limbaugh, an American entertainer, radio talk show host, writer, and conservative political commentator. Though I have never heard his radio show, and never intend to, given the research I have done on this man, I would say “entertainer” is a bit of a stretch. Perhaps his bluster and bile are entertaining to some folks at the lower end of the food chain, but it strikes me as merely offensive. At any rate, let us hear directly from Mr. Limbaugh, as my idiots speak for themselves so much better than I ever could:
- “Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?”
- “Take that bone out of your nose and call me back.” [To an African American female caller]
- “Feminism was established so as to allow unattractive women access to the mainstream of society.” (Filosofa growls)
- “I prefer to call the most obnoxious feminists what they really are: feminazis. A feminazi is a woman to whom the most important thing in life is seeing to it that as many abortions as possible are performed.”
- “There are more American Indians alive today than there were when Columbus arrived or at any other time in history. Does this sound like a record of genocide?”
- “Too many whites are getting away with drug use…Too many whites are getting away with drug sales…The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them and send them up the river, too.” And then eight years later, “I am addicted to prescription pain medication.”
- “It’s sort of like hazing, a fraternity prank. Sort of like that kind of fun. I’m talking about people having a good time, these people, you ever heard of emotional release? You ever heard of need to blow some steam off?” [Regarding torture and abuse of Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib by United States soldiers]
- “Take guns out of the possession, out of the hands of liberals, take their typewriters and their keyboards away from ‘em, don’t let ‘em anywhere near a gun, and control their speech. You would wipe out 90% of the crime, 85 to 95% of the hate, and a hundred percent of the lies from society.” (Filosofa growls louder)
- “You know how to stop abortion? Require that each one occur with a gun.”
- “If you feed them, if you feed the children, three square meals a day during the school year, how can you expect them to feed themselves in the summer? Wanton little waifs and serfs dependent on the State. Pure and simple.”
- “I mean, let’s face it, we didn’t have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I’m not saying we should bring it back; I’m just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark.” (Filosofa ROARS!)
- “You know who deserves a posthumous Medal of Honor? James Earl Ray. We miss you, James. Godspeed.”
Okay, Rush, that is all the time you get for tonight.
What brought Rush back into the spotlight this week? A couple of things, but first and foremost was his ‘commentary’ of Donald Trump’s speech on his ‘economic platform’ in Detroit earlier this week. Rush says “… some protestor started screeching like Hillary Clinton, and they had to drag her out of there. I felt like I was watching Bertha Butt being dragged out of there in the Troglodyte song. The security was dragging her out. The audience was applauding this lone protestor being dragged out of the place. She wasn’t being dragged. They’re leading her out by the hand.” Which is it, is she being “dragged” out, or led by the hand? “Okay, five or six protestors have had to be escorted out of the Trump speech at the Economic Club of Detroit. There goes the sixth now. They’re all women. They’re all white women … they’re dragging them out of there every time it happens. And that’s great to see.” Really, Rush? It is great to see women being dragged out of a public forum for exerting their 1st Amendment rights?
In reality, I am not sure how much of what he spews he actually believes, and how much is simply for shock value, ‘entertainment’ value. However, it is my belief that if you say it, you own it, and therefore if he says it, even just to make a buck, he believes it. And I also questioned my own motives in naming him Idiot of the Week. Did I do so because I truly think he’s an idiot, or simply because I find his comments crass and despicable. I am still debating that one, but I think anybody who applauds seeing other people injured is, frankly, an idiot … a despicable idiot. So with that said, here, Mr. Limbaugh is your Idiot of the Week award. I hope you are pleased and proud.