“When it comes to idiots, America’s got more than its fair share. If idiots were energy, it would be a source that would never run out.” – Lewis Black
Michelle Bachmann has never won the Idiot of the Week Award, however back in March I awarded her the unofficial title of ‘America’s #1 Bimbo’. (I try to keep Idiots and Bimbos separate, but sometimes they are synonymous.) At that time, she replaced Sarah Palin, who had previously held the #1 Bimbo title, mainly because of her assertion that God had caused the terrorist attacks in Brussels, Belgium, in order to humiliate President Obama. It was one of those jaw-dropping moments I have mentioned before. Last week, my readers voted Ms. Bachmann to be the 2nd runner up in the Idiot of the Year contest, so let us take a look at what Ms. Bachmann has been up to since she became the #1 Bimbo.
In June, Donald Trump chose Ms. Bachmann as one of his ‘evangelical advisors’. That struck me as rather humorous, but not necessarily relevant, as she was in good company with the likes of Falwell, Jr., Dobson, and others, and what, really, does a presidential candidate need with evangelical advisors? He needs them to tell him the right things to say to the masses to attract the vote of evangelical Christians. With these clowns advising him, he is sure to rile people up, so let them have at it. However, then in August Bachmann announced that she would be advising Trump on matters of foreign policy. On hearing this news, I cringed, shuddered, and went into convulsions (okay, I over-dramatize here, but you get the picture). Fortunately, there is no clear evidence that she is actually on Trump’s team of foreign policy advisors, and this seems to be merely another figment of her active imagination.
In September, Bachmann seems to have had a major brain fart:
- First, she said that Trump’s policies of mass deportation, building a border wall and reducing even legal immigration will keep America from “turning against God.” She recommended that America abandon immigration policies that “prefer those who do not hold a Christian worldview.” (Here we have another one who fails to understand the concept of freedom of religion, not to mention that she fails to understand most Mexicans are Catholics)
- Then, in an interview on the Christian Broadcasting Network’s Brody File, she predicted, “I don’t want to be melodramatic but I do want to be truthful. I believe without a shadow of a doubt this is the last election. This is it. This is the last election. It’s a math problem of demographics and a changing United States. If you look at the numbers of people who vote and who lives in the country and who Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton want to bring in to the country, this is the last election when we even have a chance to vote for somebody who will stand up for godly moral principles. This is it.” (Say what???)
And now, in case you haven’t had enough, I will let Ms. Bachmann speak for herself:
- “What I love about New Hampshire and what we have in common is our extreme love for liberty. You’re the state where the shot was heard around the world in Lexington and Concord.” (The Battles of Lexington and Concord were in Massachusetts.)
- In reference to ACA (Obamacare): “This cannot pass. What we have to do today is make a covenant, to slit our wrists, be blood brothers on this thing. This will not pass. We will do whatever it takes to make sure this doesn’t pass.”
- “I haven’t had a gaffe.” (In how many minutes?)
- “I actually supported Ted Cruz. I thought he was fabulous but I also see that at the end of the day God raised up, I believe, Donald Trump, who was going to be the nominee in this election. I don’t think God sits things out. He’s a sovereign God. Donald Trump became our nominee.”
- “The big thing we are working on now is the global warming hoax. It’s all voodoo, nonsense, hokum, a hoax.”
- “This [taxation] is slavery, it’s nothing more than slavery. The Constitution provides freedom.” (I would suggest she read the 16th Amendment, but I don’t think she would understand it.)
- “Pakistan is a nation that it’s kind of like, too nuclear to fail.” (Huh???)
- “People of all faiths will be allowed to say “Merry Christmas” (Again, HUH???)
ENOUGH! I can’t take anymore! Bill Adair from PolitiFact once said of Ms. Bachmann, “We have checked [Michele Bachmann] 13 times, and seven of her claims [have been found] to be false and six have been found to be ridiculously false … She is unusual in that regard that she has never gotten a rating higher than false.”
It is, I think, unfortunate that families of public figures are often dragged into the spotlight, and Ms. Bachmann’s husband, Marcus Bachmann, is no exception. On 27 March 2015, the National Report web site published an article positing that Marcus Bachmann had run afoul of Indiana’s newly-enacted Religious Freedom Restoration Act and was refused service at a dress boutique because the store owner assumed he was gay. By the following day, links and excerpts referencing this item were being circulated via social media, with many of those who encountered the article mistaking it for a genuine news item. However, the article was just another bit of misinformation from the National Report, a fake news site that publishes sensational, made-up stories. This is one of the major downsides to social media sites, although the blame lies largely with people who will believe anything they see and repeat it without taking a minute to check the facts. I feel great empathy for Marcus Bachmann, not only for this, but having to be married to America’s #1 Bimbo and now 3rd place winner of the Idiot of the Year award.
I would like to thank my readers for participating in the poll and for choosing Ms. Bachmann as 2nd runner up for the title of Idiot of the Year! It has been a lot of laughs digging into her recent activities, and not at all difficult to find the stupid things she has said. Actually, the difficult part was fact-checking, as there are as many fictional as factual quotes out on the vast Internet. So, without further ado, Ms. Bachmann … you are now officially awarded the 3rd place prize for being an Idiot of the Year! Keep up the good work, and perhaps next year you can move up to 1st place!
Note to readers: 2nd place winner, Ted Nugent, will be featured in a post by the end of this week, and the grand prize winner, Donald Trump, on Monday afternoon, 7 November.