As if I did not have enough to keep me occupied these days, along comes yet another idiot … where do these creatures come from, anyway??? Today’s idiot just happens to be one Franklin Graham, son of evangelist Billy Graham, and president of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association. I do not understand why so many of my idiots this year have come from the religious community? I thought that religion was intended to be a peaceful thing, but suddenly it has emerged as controversial, hate-filled, and insular. What makes Franklin Graham an idiot? Well, the headlines that put him on my radar last week were:
Franklin Graham: The media didn’t understand the ‘God-factor’ in Trump’s win
… and this one posted by my friend Brian …
Franklin Graham: ‘The Lord Saved Us From A Godless, Atheistic Agenda’
Both articles quote Mr. Graham as saying, “While the media scratches their heads and tries to understand how this happened, I believe that God’s hand intervened Tuesday night to stop the godless, atheistic progressive agenda from taking control of our country. President-elect Donald J. Trump and Vice President-elect Mike Pence are going to need a lot of help and they will continue to need a lot of prayer. I pray that President-elect Trump will surround himself with godly men and women to help advise and counsel him as he leads the nation.”
“Godless, atheistic progressive agenda” … did he actually say that? So, Frankie … are you saying it is ‘godless and atheistic’ to promote tolerance and equality for people of all races? Is it ‘godless and atheistic’ to provide food, shelter and healthcare for those who are less fortunate? And is it ‘godless and atheistic’ to take care of our planet, to help our friends, even those on the other side of the globe?
Yet, you apparently think it is godly and Christian for you to take an annual salary of almost $1 million from the two charities you oversee? And you certainly must think it is a godly thing you do when you refer to kind, loving Muslim people as ‘evil and wicked’ and support a leader who would banish them to their death? You, Mr. Graham, sicken me.
That is what brought him onto my radar, but much of what he has said in the past is what earned him the award. Mr. Graham likes to speak, to utter his Islamophobic ideas across the nation, so I will let him speak for himself … let us see what the man has to say about Islam and Muslims:
- “I think the president’s problem is that he was born a Muslim, his father was a Muslim. The seed of Islam is passed through the father like the seed of Judaism is passed through the mother. He was born a Muslim, his father gave him an Islamic name.”
- “True Islam cannot be practiced in this country. You can’t beat your wife. You cannot murder your children if you think they’ve committed adultery or something like that, which they do practice in these other countries.”
- “The Muslim Brotherhood is very strong and active in our country. It’s infiltrated every level of our government. Right now we have many of these people that are advising the US military and State Department on how to respond in the Middle East, and it’s like asking a fox, like a farmer asking a fox, “How do I protect my henhouse from foxes?” We’ve brought in Muslims to tell us how to make policy toward Muslim countries. And many of these people we’ve brought in, I’m afraid, are under the Muslim Brotherhood.”
- “[Islam is] a very evil and wicked religion … a religion of hatred. It’s a religion of war … “
- Building the cultural center near Ground Zero, he says, means Muslims “will claim now that the World Trade Center property … is Islamic land.”
He seems particularly offended by the religion of Islam, a religion he obviously does not understand, and its Muslim followers. But Muslims are not the only group Graham hates. He has actually hailed Russian President Vladimir Putin as a ‘hero’ for his homophobic anti-LGBT laws, saying, “Isn’t it sad, though, that America’s own morality has fallen so far that on this issue—protecting children from any homosexual agenda or propaganda—Russia’s standard is higher than our own? In my opinion, Putin is right on these issues. Obviously, he may be wrong about many things, but he has taken a stand to protect his nation’s children from the damaging effects of any gay and lesbian agenda.”
On the Boy Scouts decision to allow gay adults be scout leaders: “More disappointing news about the Boy Scouts of America yesterday as they voted to allow gay adult leaders. 79% of their Board voted in favor of this unfathomable change—I still find it hard to believe that BSA doesn’t see the dangers in this. Why would anyone want to entrust their son to an organization that has gone this direction?”
Stephen Prothero, a Boston University religion scholar and frequent CNN contributor says that Franklin is an embarrassment to his father: “If you want to see how American evangelicalism has lost its way, you need look no farther than Billy Graham and his son Franklin. Billy Graham was a powerful preacher of the gospel. Franklin Graham is a political hack.”
I am no religious scholar, and know very little about Billy Graham (still living, at age 97), but I do know that for a religious leader, a person who is looked up to and respected by many, to be openly bigoted against nearly 5% of the population1 is wrong. To make a blanket statement that publicly condemns groups based on things of which he obviously has no knowledge or understanding, is not only stupid and wrong, but is adding a wedge of divisiveness that is the last thing our society needs today. This is supposed to be the man that people can turn to for comfort, and instead he is pompously planting seeds of hatred and intolerance. For that, Mr. Franklin Graham, YOU have earned Filosofa’s Idiot of the Week award! I hope that every time you see your award proudly displayed on your office wall you will remember these words: We are all one race — the HUMAN race!
1 There are 3.03 million Muslims living in the United States today, or about 1% of the population; an estimated 3.8% of the population identify as a member of the LGBT community.