I wanted to do an Idiot of the Week post two days ago, but the subject (Alex Jones) turned out to be simply too evil. But today, as I was researching a news article, this man came onto my radar and taunted me. He perfectly qualifies as an idiot extraordinaire, as you will see in a few moments. Allen West has been around for a while, but the reason he fell onto my radar now is that he is aligning himself with none other than da trumpeter! He has met with Trump no less than two times recently, reportedly about the possibility of joining Trump’s national security team.
West has a speckled history, at best. He served in the U.S. Army from 1983-2004, but was relieved of duty in 2004 when he was involved in an incident whereby he threatened and attempted to kill an Iraqi detainee. After an Article 32 hearing was held, West accepted non-judicial punishment, was fined $5,000, and allowed to retire as a lieutenant colonel.
After an unsuccessful bid in 2008 for a seat in the House of Representatives, West won a seat in 2010, but lost it in the 2012 election, making him a single-term representative. I think we can begin to see why he lost in 2012 when we let Mr. West tell us some of the things he said during those two years:
- In July 2011 – “You have proven repeatedly that you are not a Lady, therefore, shall not be afforded due respect from me!” – to fellow representative Debby Wasserman Schultz
- “If Joseph Goebbels [Hitler’s Minister of Propaganda] was around, he’d be very proud of the Democrat party, because they have an incredible propaganda machine.” – statement to reporters that drew criticism from other members of Congress, as well as the attention of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL)
- During a speech at a country club dinner, speaking of liberals: “Take your message of equality of achievement. … You can take it to Europe, you can take it to the bottom of the sea, you can take it to the North Pole, but get the hell out of the United States of America.” (Really, Mr. West??? I think I pay taxes here, too!)
- “I must confess, when I see anyone with an Obama 2012 bumper sticker, I recognize them as a threat to the gene pool.” (Guess that makes me a threat to the gene pool!)
- Speaking at a women’s conference: “[Liberal women] have been neutering American men and bringing us to the point of this incredible weakness — to let them know that we are not going to have our men become subservient. That’s what we need you to do. Because if you don’t, then the debt will continue to grow…deficits will continue to grow.” (So, what is he actually suggesting? That men make it a weekly habit to beat their liberal women???)
- During an interview on the O’Reilly Factor, West compared the Democratic Party to a “21st-century plantation.” Adding, “So I’m here as the modern-day Harriet Tubman, to kind of lead people on the Underground Railroad, away from that plantation into a sense of sensibility.” (I think you need to go back and study the history of Ms. Tubman, Mr. West!)
- “Every time I see one of those bumper stickers, I look at the person inside that is driving. Because that person represents something that would give away our country. Would give away who we are, our rights and freedoms and liberties because they are afraid to stand up and confront that which is the antithesis, anathema of who we are.” (I guess that’s two strikes for me, as I have long sported the bumper sticker of which he speaks!)
It should come as no surprise that he has gained endorsements and support from three who have previously come onto my radar and earned my scorn: Glenn Beck called for him to run for president in 2012; Sarah Palin and Ted Nugent both supported him for vice-president. Can I pick ‘em, or what?
But now for West’s crowning achievement on the path to true, complete idiocy … this meme:
The above meme was shared on West’s Facebook page last Saturday morning. There is some dispute whether West himself actually posted the meme or whether his editor-in-chief, Michele Hickford posted it. Either way, it is West’s venue and he must take full responsibility. The meme was taken down on Saturday afternoon, and an apology issued by Ms. Hickford. Mr. West himself has not issued an apology. This, my friends, speaks volumes about the character, or lack thereof, of this man.
West is also, surprise, an avid supporter of the 2nd Amendment, and is a Life and Endowment Member of the National Rifle Association (NRA). In May 2016, he announced that he had been elected as a member of the NRA Board of Directors for a three-year term. His rhetoric on gun owners’ rights is predictable as he claims that President Obama has tried repeatedly to “take guns” from “law-abiding citizens”, and the rest of the Republican rhetoric we have all been hearing for the better part of a decade.
West is also, again … surprise, a frequent contributor on Fox News, where he continually spews more of his right-wing theories and anti-Democratic rhetoric, such as this:
“Morning folks. While you were sleeping, Barack Hussein Obama took out his pen and ordered our Military to enlist illegal aliens. In other words, this charlatan has allowed those who have disrespected our Constitution and are not citizens to take an oath to support and defend the very document, our rule of law, of which they are in violation.”
The reality is that former President George W. Bush was the one who initiated the program he references. A visit to his website provides more proof that the man is well-qualified for this award, as do his appearances on Fox News:
- President Obama is “siding with groups like ISIS because he supports their goal of building an Islamic caliphate”.
- On October 3rd, 2014, Allen West makes the paranoid claim that undocumented immigrants are spreading a childhood respiratory illness through America, as part of a plan of biological warfare orchestrated by the Obama administration for providing shelter to the undocumented migrant youths from Central America to help spread it. He would repeat this claim on October 8th.
- On April 20th, 2015, Allen West is speaking in Texas, and blames a rise in high school football injuries on taking Christian prayer out of schools.
- A column on his website claims the Supreme Court ruling on Gay Marriage could lead to a new civil war
There is much, much more to dislike about this man, but I am tired of reading his garbage for now. Those of you who can stomach more of this, feel free to visit his website (link above) or his Facebook page. Meanwhile, I hereby do present this coveted award of Idiot of the Week to Mr. Allen West. Mr. West – I hope that you are able to understand what an honour this award is and that it will add grace to your life for many years to come.