On March 2nd, former presidential candidate Dr. Ben Carson was sworn in as Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Last November, Carson indicated that he was not interested in serving in any official capacity in the Trump regime, and regarding a cabinet position, he said that he did not feel qualified, having no government experience and never having run a federal agency. But once nominated for the position he currently occupies, he suddenly … somehow … felt qualified, saying, “I know that I grew up in the inner city, and have spent a lot of time there. And have dealt with a lot of patients from that area. And recognize that we cannot have a strong nation if we have weak inner cities. And we have to get beyond the promises and start really doing something.”
Now, before we go into that which made him a strong candidate for the IOTW award, let us hear some of the things he said while on the campaign trail and even before … things that almost, but not quite, qualified him for the award last year.
- “You know Obamacare is really I think the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery. And it is in a way, it is slavery in a way, because it is making all of us subservient to the government, and it was never about health care. It was about control.”
- “Well, my thoughts are that marriage is between a man and a woman. It’s a well-established, fundamental pillar of society and no group, be they gays, be they NAMBLA, be they people who believe in bestiality. It doesn’t matter what they are. They don’t get to change the definition.”
- “There comes a time when people with values simply have to stand up. Think about Nazi Germany. Most of those people did not believe in what Hitler was doing. But did they speak up? Did they stand up for what they believe in? They did not, and you saw what happened.” (Isn’t it ironic, and perhaps prophetic?)
- “Because 9/11 is an isolated incident. Things that are isolated issues as opposed to things that fundamentally change the United Sates of America and shift power from the people to the government. That is a huge shift. You have to take a long-term look at something that fundamentally changes the power structure of America.” (he was comparing ACA – Obamacare – to 9/11)
- “A lot of people who go into prison straight, and when they come out they’re gay.” (I cannot believe … I simply cannot believe he said this!)
- “My own personal theory is that Joseph built the pyramids to store grain. Now all the archaeologists think that they were made for the pharaohs’ graves. But, you know, it would have to be something awfully big — when you stop and think about it, and I don’t think it’d just disappear over the course of time — to store that much grain.”
There’s more, but I am saving the best for last. First let us list Carson’s qualifications to be Secretary of HUD:
- He is breathing
Well … that was a rather short list, yes? What, exactly, is HUD? According to Investopedia:
“The Department of Housing and Urban Development, often called HUD, assists U.S. communities in providing fair and equal housing. HUD encourages home ownership and keeps an eye on the amount of affordable housing that is available nationwide.
The department is also involved in fighting housing discrimination, and works to support first-time home buyers who may need assistance in overcoming financial hardships that may disqualify them for bank loans.”
And the responsibilities of Mr. Carson, as Secretary:
“To advise the President on issues regarding housing. The Secretary makes policies, creates rules and coordinates the efforts of HUD so that headquarters and all offices serve the same mission. That mission is to make sure the citizenry has affordable housing, including both rental and owned properties.”
For which, by the way, he receives annual compensation of $199,700.
Carson is as unqualified as DeVos and Sessions, but no surprise. Living in the inner city as a child does not, in and of itself, qualify one for the job of Secretary of HUD. Now, if as an adult he still lived there, then maybe. Let’s take a look at Carson’s Palm Beach, Florida house that is on the market because of his job relocation.
Estimated value: $1.2 million. Not exactly the projects, right. In fairness, owning a $1 million plus home does not disqualify him from the job, but coupled with the lack of government experience, lack of knowledge of the issues surrounding his new department and, more importantly, lack of understanding what it is like simply trying to scrape together a down payment for an $80,000 home … all of that makes him remarkably un-qualified.
But here is what pushed the envelope the final millimeter to become Filosofa’s Idiot of the Week. Yesterday Carson gave his first speech to hundreds of employees in his department, a speech intended to motivate and inspire, when he said … well … let us hear from Ben in his own words just what he said:
“ ,,, That’s what America is about.
A land of dreams and opportunity. There were other immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships, worked even longer, even harder for less.
But they too had a dream that one day their sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, great grandsons, great granddaughters might pursue prosperity and happiness in this land.”
Um … Benji? Let me explain something here. Immigrants come to this country sometimes seeking refuge or asylum, other times simply seeking a better opportunity to provide a good life for their families. Slaves were kidnapped from the African continent, brought against their will to this country, then treated brutally, often beaten, even lynched, given little to eat and forced to work under threat of a whip or gun. No, for them this was definitely not the land of opportunity. For them, this was hell.
Dr. Carson was once a well-respected neurosurgeon, a member of the medical community. Perhaps his biggest act of idiocy was leaving that community to enter politics where he has become a laughingstock. At any rate, Dr. Carson … here is what may well be your most prestigious award yet: Filosofa’s Idiot of the Week award! No … no need to thank me … you have more than earned it! I hope it looks nice in your new office!