I did not realize I was feeling ill until the following “breaking news” came popping up on my phone last evening …
House Freedom Caucus Chairman Mark Meadows is no longer under consideration to be Donald Trump’s chief of staff.
“Congressman Mark Meadows is a great friend to President Trump and is doing an incredible job in Congress. The President told him we need him in Congress so he can continue the great work he is doing there,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement.
Meadows, a staunch Trump ally, had been a top contender for the position, and he had signaled his interest in recent days. But ultimately, aides said the president thought it best for him to remain in Congress, where he can continue to be a strong defender of the administration.
Now, first off, I am glad that Meadows, who is a grade-A, bigoted, radical right-wing jerk, is not going to be the new chief of staff. But when I read that he is doing “an incredible job”, my stomach churns, and when I read that he is to stay in Congress “so he can continue the great work …” I am full on sick to my stomach.
For those who may be unfamiliar with Mr. Meadows, let me summarize …
- Meadows voted against relief for Hurricane Sandy in 2013
- He is anti-abortion and anti-birth control
- Oddly, he claims to support a balanced budget, though he has largely contributed to the highest deficit we have seen in six years
- He demanded that Trump get rid of all federal funding to study climate change
- He also requested Trump repeal environmental regulations including the Renewable Fuel Standard, stop the prohibition of drilling oil on federal lands, and pull the US out of the Paris Climate Agreement
- Meadows voted against renewing the Violence Against Women Act
- He has proposed that the United States should tap into oil and gas reserves to keep energy prices low, and to develop energy independence. He supports tapping into off-shore oil and gas supplies
- Meadows opposes same-sex marriage
- Meadows opposes any restrictions on gun purchases and opposes a national gun registry that would list detailed information about firearm ownership
- He has voted numerous times to repeal the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
- He supports tax cuts for the wealthy and large corporations, and is against net neutrality
Well, you get the picture. Mark Meadows, chairman of the House Freedom Caucus, and member of the U.S. House of Representatives from North Carolina is the worst of the worst of the republican party. In essence, if it is good for the wealthy and bad for the rest of us, he is for it. If it helps the average Joe, he will fight against it. And he is considered one of Trump’s closest allies in Congress. That tell you something? This is a man whose conscience is measured in dollar signs.
And so now you might understand why, when I hear Sarah Huckabee Sanders and Don Trump refer to him as “doing an incredible job”, I feel ill. An incredible job at what??? Destroying the nation and the global environment? Sending women’s rights back two centuries? You might ask just what the good people of North Carolina were thinking when they elected him for a fourth term last month, but the reality is that his district is so heavily gerrymandered that almost all minorities have been excluded. He campaigned for the 2018 elections by touting his support of the madman Trump, while claiming that any republicans who didn’t support Trump should be removed from office.
Mark Meadows is, contrary to Ms. Sanders and Mr. Trump’s opinion, not doing a great job at anything. He is the poster boy for why we need to have all district maps re-drawn to appropriately represent the voters.
So, we are left with the question … who will be the next chief of staff? Nick Ayers and Rick Santorum have thus far turned down the job, Mark Meadows is out of the running … who’s left? The three leading contenders appear to be acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker, a former campaign manager David Bossie, and former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie. But then, who knows … by tomorrow it could be Daffy Duck! Whoever it is, I’m sure he or she will make a lovely addition to this circus of clowns.