Fortunately, since we have a caveman at the helm, the president does not write the budget – Congress does. The president can submit his proposal, his request or wish list, but at the end of the day, it is Congress who writes the budget. Thankfully.
This week, Trump gave his wish list to Congress, and as we all suspected, it is atrocious. In short, he wants to take as much as he can possibly take from We the People and give as much as he possibly can to his wealthy cronies, raising the already-staggering deficit in the process. Let’s take a look at some of the most egregious items, shall we?
- First, there is “the wall”. Since he couldn’t bully Congress into giving him the $5.7 billion he asked for to start work on the wall, he is now asking for $8.6 billion! And this guy is supposed to be a master dealmaker? The art of compromise is entirely lost on him!
- Then there is the environment. His proposal is to cut funding for the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) by 31%. It would cut the EPA’s Global Change Research office, which exists to provide scientific information to policymakers about the threats posed by climate change, as well as a number of other programs involving clean water and air.
- Along similar lines, he proposes massive cuts to the Department of Energy’s (DOE) renewable energy and energy efficiency budget … some 70%!!! The Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, which falls under the DOE, provides hundreds of millions of dollars a year in grants and other financial assistance for clean energy, has financed research into technologies ranging from electric vehicles to energy projects powered by ocean waves. It has been credited with financing research to help make the cost of wind power competitive with coal, and cutting the costs of LED lighting.
Note that Trump has repeatedly vowed to zero out federal spending on clean energy research and development, while doing everything in his power to promote and even subsidize the fossil fuel industry. The only conclusion that can be drawn is that either he truly desires the destruction of the human race, or he is really that damn stupid.
- He proposes to cut safety net programs such as food stamps, Medicaid, and housing assistance, all programs that low-income families depend on for their very survival. In spite of inflation, he proposes to freeze the maximum Pell Grant for low-income college students.
- He has also proposed to cut Medicare … that benefit that we all paid into every single paycheck of our lives … by $845 billion over the next ten years! And … he plans to cut $25 billion from Social Security … again, a program that we all paid 6.2% of our gross pay into every paycheck we ever earned in our entire lives!
Note that in 2016, when he was still a wanna-be, he said, “I’m not going to cut Social Security, like every other Republican, and I’m not going to cut Medicare or Medicaid.” More damn lies!
- He also proposes to cut the Department of Housing and Urban Development by 16 percent and the Education Department by 12 percent.
- He does, however, wish to increase the defense budget by $750 billion (that’s in addition to the $8.6 billion for his damn wall).
No part of the plan addresses increasing revenue, and in fact it extends the tax cuts for the wealthy that were passed in December 2017. It is by no means a balanced budget, and will absolutely, without question add to the national debt and deficit, both of which are already out of control, by trillions of dollars. What happened, I would ask, to those fiscal hawks that put Obama down for eight years for not balancing the budget, for deficit spending? Yo! Republicans! Can y’all hear me out there in la-la land??? This ‘man’ you all think so much of, that you’re willing to lose friends over, is going to cut Social Security … the money you have saved for your retirement since the first day of your first job. Are you going to continue to sit on those fat, white posteriors and not even raise a stink?
But, there is good news. And that is …
Trump’s budget proposal does not stand snowball’s chance in hell of passing Congress! Not even a slight chance. Even the republicans don’t like it! It is naught but his pie-in-the-sky wish list. However … what it does do is it speaks volumes about Mr. Trump’s priorities, and his lack of concern for the people who put him into office. A president is elected, in theory, by the majority of the voters. In Trump’s case, he was not elected by the majority at all, but was nearly three million votes short of it. One might think that would make him work a lot harder to win over those of us who did not vote for him, but instead, he devotes seemingly every waking moment to finding ways to stab us in the back.
We’re tired of it. Instead of working with Congress to attempt to develop a budget that benefits the nation and its people, he is submitting a proposal that his own advisors have told him will not fly. He is working against the very people he swore to represent. His priorities are a wall, his rich cronies, his Star Wars-type toy, a ‘Space Force’, and other useless crap, for lack of a better word. Meanwhile, the poor and middle class, the 99% of the nation, will suffer if he gets his way. Those are his priorities, folks. His budget proposal tells us exactly where we stand … out in the cold.