So, another one bites the dust. On Friday evening it was announced that Trump fired … well, ‘re-assigned’ … White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney. Mulvaney will be a “special envoy to Northern Ireland”, another term for another useless person on the payroll doing nothing. Given some of Mulvaney’s actions, such as when he was attempting to defend the indefensible Ukraine phone call that led to Trump’s impeachment and he told us to “get over it”, I don’t have much empathy for ol’ Mick. But the person replacing him is none other than the extremely ignoble Mark Meadows, a member of the U.S. House of Representatives from North Carolina. I will tell you a bit about Mr. Meadows in a minute.
This is the fourth chief of staff that Trump has had in just three years … a turnover rate that says more about Trump than it does about the lackeys who held the position. If there is one word that best defines this administration, it is ‘chaos’. You cannot have stability in any organization with the turnover ratio Trump has. It’s not only the chief of staff, but I can name a dozen positions that have been revolving doors since day one.
Now, let me tell you just a bit about Mr. Mark Meadows.
Meadows is one of the founders, along with Jim Jordan and other such characters, of the House Freedom Caucus. The group was founded in 2015 as a part of the Tea Party movement, and have largely done nothing but cause disruption, obstruction and obfuscation.
- While running for office in June 2012, Meadows said, “2012 is the time we are going to send Mr. Obama home to Kenya or wherever it is,” implying that President Obama was not born in the United States. He made a similar comment later that month.
- In February 2013 Meadows voted against renewing the Violence Against Women Act. Meadows has said he casts his votes based not on his personal feelings but on what the majority of his constituents in “God’s Country” tell him to do.
- In December 2016 Meadows gave Trump a wish list of regulations to be repealed. It included a demand to get rid of federal funding to study climate change. He also requested Trump repeal several environmental regulations, including the Renewable Fuel Standard, end the prohibition of drilling oil on federal lands, and pull the US out of the Paris Climate Agreement.
- He is against LGBT rights, against any form of gun regulation, against net neutrality.
- Last December he blatantly lied about Trump’s phone call to Ukrainian President Zelenskyy, even though the transcript of the call put paid to the lie.
- Meadows presented a letter to Donald Trump in 2016 that demanded the repeal of certain laws that exist to ensure fair pay for public works employees, and also demanded the repeal of the federal overtime rule.
- Meadows is staunchly against the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and was largely responsible for pushing then-Speaker of the House John Boehner to shut down the government in 2013 unless the ACA was defunded.
Last December, Meadows announced that he would not seek re-election this year. Our friend Keith, who lives in Meadows’ district in North Carolina, explained that the previously gerrymandered district maps had been re-drawn and that Meadows’ chances of winning re-election would be slim-to-none. He is apparently hoping to run for the U.S. Senate seat that will be vacated by Senator Richard Burr in 2022. Meanwhile, I guess he plans to bide his time creating more chaos and havoc as Trump’s chief of staff until next January 20th when Trump will officially be escorted off the premises, and Meadows and all the others along with him.
And in other news …
Last night, amid the growing coronavirus pandemic, after visiting the CDC and making a complete fool out of himself, Trump entertained the torcher of the Amazon Rain Forest, Jair Bolsonaro at Mar-a-Lago. Not a care in the world for those two destroyers of Planet Earth …
Oh look … Ivanka and Jared are there, too. I can’t help wondering how much this is costing We the Taxpayer???
One last thought …
If you live in the U.S. and didn’t switch your clocks ahead one hour last night … stop reading this and go do so now, else you won’t know the right time and you’ll be late all day today! And speaking of Daylight Saving’s Time …