If you have lived your life believing that you are, by definition of your gender and skin colour, one of the superior beings on earth, I imagine it’s rather difficult to accept reality when it hits you in the face. White males have dominated much of our political and societal ‘norms’ since the beginning of this nation. Until the year 2008 when we elected Barack Obama, a Black man, to be our president, every president had been white. And male. We have yet to elect a woman to the highest office in the land, and in fact relatively few women hold seats in Congress. And yet … a portion of those white males are now claiming that they are “victims of racism.” SERIOUSLY???
Women fought long and hard just to get the right to vote … it took them until August 1920! Men generally did not want women to vote, just as today they do not want women to have senior positions in our government. A few facts …
- In 1839 Mississippi was the first state to allow women to own property in their own names
- In 1848, the Married Woman’s Property Act was passed in New York and used as a template for other states in later years. This Act allowed women to enter into contracts on her own, transact business and file a lawsuit in her own name. By 1900, all other states had passed similar laws
- In 1862, the U.S. Homestead Act made it easier for single, widowed and divorced women to claim land in their own names.
- In 1872 Illinois granted freedom of occupational choice to both men and women. But when Myra Colby Bradwell, who studied as her husband’s law apprentice to pass the Illinois bar, tried to practice as a lawyer, the US supreme court ruled in 1873 that the state doesn’t have to grant a law license to a married woman. Say WHAT???
- In 1963, the US passed the first legislation requiring equal pay for equal work, but it needed to be expanded in 1972 to include salespeople, executives, administrators, etc.
- In 1970 a federal appeals court decision makes it illegal for a company to change a job’s title so that they could pay women who held the position less than male workers. 1970, people … think about it … just over 50 years ago!
Remember that Virginia Slims television commercial (from back when cigarette companies were still allowed to advertise on television) that said, “You’ve Come A Long Way, Baby!” Indeed, women in most western countries including the U.S. have come a long way, but look how long it has taken, and the reality is that in the U.S. today, women are still considered by too many to be second-class citizens.
Even worse, Black people in this country have had to fight for every teeny tiny step of progress they have made and far too many lives … BLACK LIVES … have been lost in that never-ending battle. Even in this, the 21st century, Black people are losing their lives to white supremacists for no reason other than the colour of their skin! Remember the story of Emmett Till who was killed by white men in 1955 because he was a young Black boy and had a conversation with a white store clerk. Even our police, the very people who are sworn to uphold the law of the land, are often the perpetrators of hate crimes against Black people! Remember Breonna Taylor? SAY HER NAME! Remember Trayvon Martin, Eric Garner, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, Alton Sterling, George Floyd and so very many others??? SAY THEIR NAMES, DAMMIT! Remember them … always.
My point? Those white entitled men who claim they are victims of racism are so full of sh*t that I can smell them five miles away! Last week, the former guy claimed that he is a victim of racial discrimination because … wait for it … the prosecutors in Georgia, New York, and Washington who are investigating Trump and his business organization are all Black. Oh the irony, for I have never known anybody more racist and misogynist than Donald Trump!
But alas, Trump isn’t the only one riding this fake victim train! The infamous Ted Cruz, senator from Texas, claimed that President Biden’s decision to appoint a Black woman to the Supreme Court was “offensive” and excludes most “Americans”. Bullshit, Teddy!!! Most “Americans” are excluded by nature of the fact that most of us do not qualify, do not have law degrees and previous experience as a judge! Roger Wicker, a senator from Mississippi said that limiting the pool to Black women is “affirmative racial discrimination.”
I’m tired, my friends. I’m sick and damn tired of the people whose voices are the loudest in this nation twisting and turning words, upholding bigotry in all its forms, and hastening to destroy life on this planet. I’m sick and tired of the people who are against anything and everything that makes sense, such as mask and vaccine mandates, protecting and repairing the environment, equality for ALL, whether male or female, Black or white, gay or straight. There’s an old saying that, “If you’re not part of the solution, then you’re part of the problem.” So true, and today there are so many who are choosing to be part of the problem and keeping the rest from finding the solutions to what is wrong in this world. For Christmas, my daughter bought me this t-shirt …
Pretty damn accurate, I’d say.