The total annual salaries for the 435 members of the House of Representatives is $76,300,300. That’s just the salary, not including benefits, travel, and other perks, and not including all their staff! When you add it all up, the total budget for the House of Representatives is $1.715 billion! We the Taxpayers are the ones who pay these salaries. Now, mind you, I don’t begrudge them their pay and relative to what the average corporate executive earns in a year, House members’ salaries are actually less. But what I do mind is paying for people to do a job that they are not doing, but instead are spending their time and our money on pointless, stupid time-wasting games.
As the Republican Party leadership makes plans for their next session beginning January 3rd, 2023, we hear that their sole intent will be to impeach President Biden … multiple times if possible … for grounds as yet undetermined. They play to spend their entire first year doing nothing but running investigations into every aspect of the Biden administration, including the president’s family members, looking for evidence of … what???
These are just a few of the ‘investigations’ they are plotting:
- They will seek to impeach Alejandro Mayorkas, the secretary of Homeland Security, not for misdeeds but because they are displeased that the Biden administration’s immigration policies are more humane than the Trump administration’s.
- They’re planning to probe the alleged “politicization” of the Justice Department, claiming it is a hotbed of leftists and Democratic partisans. Additionally, they plan an investigation into what they claim is the ‘mistreatment’ of the January 6th insurrectionists. Say WHAT???
- They intend to investigate the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) with the goal of gutting the IRS budget. President Biden’s Inflation Reduction Act provided funding for additional IRS staffing to pursue tax fraud by corporations and the wealthy, but the Republicans want to ensure that doesn’t happen.
- They say they plan to waste even more time and resources “investigating” the source of Covid, claiming that there was some vast ‘conspiracy’ involving none other than Dr. Anthony Fauci, responsible for the virus. They say they want to see Fauci imprisoned, or perhaps even executed for his alleged ‘crimes’.
- And of course they plan to make President Biden’s son, Hunter, the subject of some massive investigation into his emails, his computer, his sexual relationships, and probably the brand of socks he wears! Funny the double standard here … Trump’s children were involved in a number of unsavory things, but not once was an investigation launched into their shenanigans. In fact, they were given high-level security clearances against the recommendations of the White House personnel security office at Trump’s behest.
These are but a few of the pseudo-investigations that Kevin McCarthy, Marge Greene and others are rubbing their hands together and salivating over launching. The end goal, as I mentioned, is to impeach President Biden. Why? Because he’s not a Republican, because he won the 2020 election, because he’s a man of conscience and integrity, unlike most of the Republicans. And there may well be yet another reason … because Donald Trump asked ordered them to.
Now, we can shrug it off, for it’s unlikely with the slim majority the Republicans will have in the House that they will succeed in impeaching the president. Surely there are at least a few who would be uncomfortable with such a dramatic and ludicrous move. And even if they succeeded in impeachment, there is not a snowball’s chance in hell that the Senate would convict him. But it is still important because it is a denigration of our entire government, turning the United States Congress into a circus act. In my mind, at least, it signals the beginning of the end of a democratic system. The Republicans are obviously not interested in earning their keep, in providing good governance, but are only interested in domination. Then again, maybe part of the scheme is to deflect attention from their own crimes and those of their ‘leader’, Donald Trump.
What makes me furious is that the Republicans have absolutely no plan for policy-making or for legislating, which is what we hired them to do! Their sole focus is going to be on trying to bring down the Biden administration and block any and all legislation proposed by the Democrats. And for this … for this we are going to pay them $76,300,300!!! I don’t know about you folks, but I’m sick and damned tired of paying hard-earned tax dollars and getting absolutely nothing in return! I’d far rather my tax dollars go to help improve the lot in life of people who are struggling just to survive in this world than the already-wealthy bozos the Republicans have shoved into Congress!